Monday, March 28, 2011

How many lives are left??


As a foster parent to animals, I feel like I expend nine lives in a year. Fosters like Morris (and others that weren't so lucky) remind me that I have been blessed with general good health with my fosters. Each new curveball is tackled as a learning opportunity. I'm sure you're thinking, yes yes yes, what about Morris? How's he doing NOW?? I'm getting to that part.



Morris was continuing to make great improvements in healing. The scar on one side had healed completely to the point that you thought it was a mere scratch. The other side, the side that got the most action because it had the most muscle, had a slight scab, but was healing well as well. On Wednesday night, I noticed he was starting to get some fluid build up on his right side. It stayed about the same size through Friday morning. When I took him in for therapy on Friday morning, I discussed the fluid build up with Dr. Chau of Family Vet of Stone Ridge. She explained that since that side had the least amount of muscle, it was the most prone to fluid build up. Made complete sense. She mentioned she might drain the fluid, but wasn't really sure. I didn't think about it again and hubby picked up Morris so I didn't get a chance to ask. Morris was very mobile on Saturday night and even attempted to make friends with another foster, Fatima. She was not interested, in the slightest, but I was encouraged by his exploration.



Fast forward to Sunday. My friend Sarah came over to see the "wunder kitty" as I call him. He did great, he looked great and he didn't even hiss at her (I think he's just reserving that for me now). We noticed the swelling was still there, but again, didn't think anything of it.



Sunday evening and I noticed an alarming puncture like wound located south of his incision. I will spare you the awful details, but his therapy for today was cancelled and he was dropped off at the vet first thing this morning. I am almost certain I'm going to screw this up, but the theory is that there was a blood pocket that pooled under his skin since he has so much "dead space." That area was especially week so all he would have to do is sit on it hard or lie down on it funny and the pressure would be released, which is precisely what happened. To fix it, the doctors sewed him up and put in a drain since there was fluid still draining from the wound. He's on crate rest for 7-10 days and therapy has been put on hold until the drain can be removed. Poor little guy. He's had a surgery every two weeks since his neuter was scheduled. He's a tough little kitty, though, as evidenced by how far he came WITHOUT the benefit of surgery. I hate that he has to be isolated though and look forward to when he can join everybody else.


Look! You can see where his hair had started to grow back in!



If you're interested, Morris is accepting visitors. I can't promise he'll want to snuggle on your lap, but it's not often you get to look at a bionic kitty. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment